Google’s algorithm is a very complex system used to show search results. It uses a combination of algorithms and other ranking signals to deliver websites ranked by relevance on its search engine results pages (SERPs).
Google makes many updates / changes every year. Most of these updates are so small that they go completely unnoticed. However, from time to time, the search engine rolls out major algorithmic updates that significantly impact the search results.
The most recent one was done in January followed by a tweak in February 2020. Many websites rankings fell drastically whereas some even gained ranks.
1. The featured snippet will be counted as one of the ten listings on the SERP.
2. The content relevancy gets higher percentage in terms of rankings.
3. Mobile page speeds become a big factor in SEO page ranking.
1. First do not go all out in making your changes because another update may give you extra brownie points for the current optimization you may have done.
2. Repetitive use of keywords seems to be getting a lot of weight-age.
3. Download buttons are important
4. Apply now or call to action button is also being given importance.
5. Table of contents is a must and has been important for a while now
6. Long content with subheadings seems to be the order of the day
7. The url needs to also have the main key-phrase
8. A comment section seems to help as the content gets updated frequently.